May 23


Should I make a Living Will as well?

As you probably know, your last will and testament is the first step in planning for your friends, family and loved ones after your gone.

But there are other legal documents you should consider to ensure your wishes are clearly known. It makes sense to have one as it states how you want to be treated in the event you become incapacitated and are unable to express your wishes at the time.

Living Will

You should consider making what is known as a Living Will to express how you wish to be treated medically in the event you become mentally incapacitated and are unable to communicate or make decisions for yourself. The living will instructions are sometimes referred to as advance directives.

Your Advance Directives depend on the State in which your reside:

ACT Enduring Power of Attorney
NSW Enduring Guardianship
NT Advance Personal Plan
QLD Advanced Health Directive
SA Advance Care Directives
TAS Enduring Guardianship
VA Medical Enduring Power of Attorney
WA Enduring Power of Guardianship

For legal issues you can give a Power of Attorney to someone you trust to be responsible for making legal and financial decisions on your behalf.

However, if you become mentally incapacitated or unable to make decisions for yourself such as being in a coma, then you need to have made an Enduring Power of Attorney which is applicable in all States.


You may also like

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Show me how to start my Will today - FOR FREE